Master Lavelle Smith - Master Lavelle started training at age 5 with his father (Kenneth Smith) in Japanese Jiu-jitsu and wrestling. He began developing his own style teaching friends martial arts in his back yard at the age of 12. Master Lavelle officially opened his first school in 1980 under the name Free Form Martial Arts School. He has trained in Kempo, Ta Kwan Do, Boxing, Kickboxing and is a fifth degree black belt in Free Form. Since 1980 Master Lavelle and his students have won seven world titles (NAGA, NBL, NASKA, USKA), and ninety-three national titles. Master Lavelle was inducted into the U.S. Martial Arts Hall of Fame on July 23, 2011.
SINCE 1980 FREE FORM HAS WON :
SEVEN WORLD TITLES
THIRTEEN SILVER MEDALS (WORLD)
SEVENTY-FOUR NATIONAL TITLES
NUMEROUS REGIONAL AND STATE TITLES
MARIA "THE TIGER" SMITH-SIMS
1994NBL SPARRING WORLD CHAMPION
1995 NASKA/OTOMIX SPARRING WORLD CHAMPION
1995 USKA SPARRING WORLD CHAMPION
1996KICK "KNIGHTS OF THUNDER" KICKBOXING CHAMPION
2004 USA CONTINUOUS SPARRING CHAMPION
"U.S. MARTIAL ARTS HALL OF FAME"
MASTER LAVELLE SMITH
FREE FORM MARTIAL ARTS PHILOSOPHY
We emphasize individuality! It allows you the freedom to be yourself. (You -be-You)
The Art of No Form, free to move with movement, change, like water flowing downstream. Non-traditional style that adapts all styles with no forms or katas.
1. Technique - is simply a bridge to get us to where we need to be.
2. Form - no form, individuality, free to move with movement like water flowing downstream. Adapts to all forms but conforms to none
3. Conflict - a good martial artist will avoid conflict if possible.
4. Fighting - is the last resort - it’s not fun - someone is going to get hurt - don’t let it be you.
5. Readiness - always alert - aware of your surroundings - not tense, but loose and ready to act.
6. Attitude - a good martial artist has nothing to prove - a bad attitude is just that BAD! You should be well mannered with respect to all people.
7. Dedication - to be a good martial artist one must be dedicated - martial arts must become a part of your life.